- Online Services
- How do I...
Health - Smoking
Smoking shall be prohibited in all places of employment and enclosed public places as well as the following locations:
Each employer having control of any enclosed place of employment/workplace shall post the following information in the place of employment within 30 calendar days to receive any required certificate of occupancy from the city.
"It shall be the responsibility of employers to provide a smoke-free place of employment for all employees. Smoking shall be prohibited in all indoor and outdoor areas served by employees, in places of employment. As used in this subsection, the term "served" shall not include routine maintenance or routine cleaning activities such as waste removal, sweeping, mopping, and similar activities."
No Smoking Sign
The owner, manager or other person having control of a public place, a place of employment, or another area where smoking is prohibited shall have signs conspicuously posted at each entrance and within the areas where smoking is prohibited clearly stating NO SMOKING (in letters of at least one inch in height) or displaying the international no smoking symbol (consisting of a pictorial representation of a burning cigarette enclosed in a red circle with a red bar across it) such as:
AshtraysAll ashtrays and other smoking paraphernalia in areas where smoking is prohibited by this division shall be limited to that required for the enforcement of extinguishing of smoking materials.
Notwithstanding any other provision of this division to the contrary, the following areas shall not be subject to the smoking restrictions of this division:
1. A private residence, unless it is used as a child care, adult daycare or health care facility;
2. A retail tobacco store;
3. A private club;
4. A facility under the ownership, custody or control of another governmental or educational institution;
5. An outdoor area, including an outdoor patio, that is adjacent to a bar or restaurant and that is served by one or more employees of such bar or restaurant, but which is at least 20 feet from any outside entrance, operable window, or ventilation system serving an enclosed area where smoking is prohibited by this division and has at least three sides which do not extend to the ceiling or is not solid;
6. A hotel or motel room rented to a guest;
7. A designated smoking area in a city park;
8. A bar; and
9. A bingo hall.